Banca Popolare dell’Emilia Romagna: ASSESSMENT & DIGITAL WORKPLACE
"You have to move the periphery to the center"
The BPER Group was founded in 1992 by the People’s Bank of Emilia Romagna; at the time of the project the group was composed of 7 banks operating nationwide with 1,322 branches in 17 Italian regions. Integrity, transparency and professionalism are the core values that inspire “the way to be a Bank” of the BPER Group, with the desire to encourage the small household savings together with businesses resources, considering credit as a tool for development and promotion of the territory.
With the introduction of the new Intranet, unique for all the banks, the BPER Group aims to achieve three key objectives of the 2012-2014 business plan:
- Strengthen the role of guidance and control of the parent company: by centralizing a part of company information and ensuring a unanimous vision on the key strategic issues, while preserving the territorial identities through a specific profiling
- Improve staff engagement: the new Intranet should be a primary tool to bring closer both the bank to its employees and the branches to the headquarters
- Support the evolution of the customer service model: the new Intranet should support the change management towards a new organizational structure and the development of new roles
The project has started within the Internal Communications Office of the Human Resources Department.
The new intranet has been designed with a strong approach to co-design and involvement of future users as a unique corporate portal (Digital Workspace), accessible also outside the organization’s internal network, to support daily operations of branches and internal offices. The Intranet plays a role of the single point of access to company’s technologies and available information, including all business applications. The Intranet provides also automatic content profiling in order to personalize and differentiate services for different users, based on the their role and organization. In order to ensure an efficient management of the Intranet, the Intranet governance model has been developed and specific roles and processes have been defined.
To cope with the ambitious objectives in the design phase, all the major areas of the Digital Workspace have been involved: Communication, Collaboration, Business, Knowledge.
Below are the main innovations introduced for each area:
- Introduction of institutional news with multimedia content (images, videos)
- Streamlining and automation of the circular and regulations publication
- Communication profiling at the level of group, bank or territorial direction
- Presence of collaboration areas where to dialogue and share one’s expertise for example in work communities or project groups
- Introduction of the “Personal Profile” with social features integrated to help find colleagues and internal experts
- Creation of a single point of access to all the available banking applications (portal integration)
- Rationalization of navigation processes between different applications and introduction of a unique access (single-sign-on): after the login on the Intranet the user is able to access all the applications without further authentication
- Advanced (“semantic”) search engine to simplify information retrieval
- Improvement of the accessibility and of the existing documentation consultation process (regulations, commercial documents, etc.).